Labs & Other Testing
The drawing center is open to meet your laboratory needs from 8:00am to 4:00pm Monday to Friday. A lab appointment is required. Our busiest times are from 8:00am – 11:00am. We do request your patience as there can be a large volume of patients to be assisted.
About the Lab:
- Most laboratory testing is done on-site, however, sometimes samples need to be sent to a reference lab, for clinical reasons as well as issues of insurance coverage. Even though your specimen is collected here, we will make sure that the correct reference lab receives the specimen, and that your physician receives the results.
- If your insurance requires your lab work to be done at LabCorp or Quest, RIMG offers to draw those orders and send them to the outside lab for a draw/processing fee of $35. Also, RIMG charges $50 for kits.
- If you do not receive your results from your provider within 10 business days please contact the office at 301.762.5020.
- The Rockville Internal Medicine Clinical Laboratory is open Monday through Friday from 8:00am – 4:00pm.
- All laboratory tests must be ordered by your physician. If the orders for your tests have not been placed in advance, we will need to contact your physician for an order and this might lengthen the wait time. Pre-Op lab orders cannot be collected unless the patient has been seen by the PCP first.
- Do not eat 12 hours before your blood test if you have are having your cholesterol and glucose tested. Drink plenty of water for the blood test.
- Lab orders more than eight (8) months old cannot be honored.
- The CLIA certified lab is staffed with certified Medical Lab Scientists for processing lab tests.
- Urine samples must be collected in the sterile container provided by the lab. Specimens not collected properly will be discarded.
- Stool specimens must be transferred to the appropriate containers prior to returning to the lab for testing.
- All patients need to sign in at the lab reception desk, even if only picking up a 24-hour urine container or stool kits.
- Average wait time is 15-20 minutes following sign in and can increase or decrease based on patient volume.
- Lab appointments must be made using the patient portal and start at 8:00am. Please contact the main reception desk for more information regarding access.
- All drop-off urine and stool specimens must be received by 3:00pm, Monday – Friday.
- Patients cannot get lab results at the draw center. Results must be requested at the main reception desk.
Rockville Internal Medicine Group has a full-service Radiology Department, including X-Ray and DEXA (Dual Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry) Bone Density Evaluation. An appointment is required for all Radiology Services.
In order to expedite the diagnosis and treatment of your medical condition, Rockville Internal Medicine provides an on-site full-service X-Ray department capable of performing most types of plain film X-Rays. This includes, but is not limited to:
Studies involving contrast, CT scans, PET scans, and MRI’s are not done at this site. In this case, you will be directed to a local facility to have the procedure done.
DEXA BONE EVALUATION
To determine your risk of developing osteoporosis, Rockville Internal Medicine has available Dual Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry (DEXA scanning). This test evaluates your bone density level and can be used to assess your risk for fractures.
Your physician can order a DEXA scan for you, but an appointment is required for the procedure. Hours of operation are Mondays from 8:00am to 12:00pm; and Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00am to 4:00pm . To make an appointment choose option 2 from our phone menu to speak with the appointment scheduler.
Pulmonary Function Lab
A cough and shortness of breath are troubling symptoms that sometimes indicate the presence of a serious underlying condition. In order to diagnose and treat these conditions, the pulmonary physicians at Rockville Internal Medicine Group have developed a state of the art Pulmonary Function Lab. By performing these tests, your physician can determine lung functions as simple as how forcefully you can blow air out, or as sophisticated as for how efficiently your lungs extract oxygen from the air. This testing, as well as X-ray and endoscopic evaluations when necessary, will help your physician determine the cause of your symptoms. Once that is determined, your physician can direct you to therapies to preserve and restore your health. Hours of operation are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00am to 4:00pm.
It is extremely important that we be able to perform screening studies to diagnose a problem so that it may be treated before it leads to unwanted morbidity and mortality. In order to better serve our patients in this regard, Rockville Internal Medicine Group has developed a state of the art Cardiovascular & Ultrasound Testing Lab. Under the medical directorship of Dr. Shishir Khetan, we perform the following procedures at our facility:
- Stress Echocardiogram
- Exercise Stress Test
- Carotid Ultrasound
- AAA Screen
- Lower Extremity Arterial Exam
- Holter Monitor
- 24 Hour BP Monitor
- Metabolic Test
- Thyroid Ultrasound
- General Abdominal Ultrasound
- Venous Ultrasound to Rule Out DVT